Tooth cavities are a common disease affecting both young and old people. If not treated early, cavities can spread to the deeper part of teeth, causing infection, severe toothache, or tooth loss.
Tooth cavities start gradually and are not easy to notice, making people identify the problem when it’s serious.
That is why it is crucial to regularly visit the dentist for check-ups. Calm Dentistry can help take care of your teeth.
We provide affordable dental care in the Grayson, Snellville, Lawrenceville, Loganville and Stone Mountain, GA areas. Our office is operated by highly experienced experts who have worked in private and public health sectors. Book an appointment and we’ll help you restore your smile.
What Tooth Cavities Mean
Also called tooth decay or caries, tooth cavities refer to the permanently destroyed areas on the hard surface of a tooth, causing holes.
Symptoms of cavities may be difficult to identify in the beginning. This is because when starting, cavities have no pain or symptoms. However, as the decay worsens, you will notice symptoms such as:
- Unreasonable toothache or pain
- Tooth sensitivity, which causes sharp pain when brushing, or eating hot, cold, or sweet food, or drinks.
- Experiencing bad smell or taste in your mouth
- Bleeding gums
- Black or brown color appearing on your teeth’ surface
- Teeth developing holes or pits
When Should One Visit a Doctor?
Without a doctor’s check-up, you cannot discover tooth cavities in the beginning stages. That’s why it’s a good idea to visit the dentist at least twice a year even when you don’t have symptoms.
Waiting for the symptoms to be visible may result in severe pain or tooth loss. However, whenever you experience any symptoms visit a dentist immediately.
Calm Dentistry is dedicated to helping you avoid the plight tooth cavities bring.
We also understand people`s financial status may affect their access to care so we offer the most affordable dental care in the Grayson, Snellville, Lawrenceville, Loganville and Stone Mountain, GA areas. Lack of money should not make you suffer with dental pain.
Your health is our pride; reach out and we`ll be glad to take care of you.
Causes of Tooth Cavities
Tooth cavities are caused by tooth decay. Tooth decay is a progressive disease that compromises the tooth surface (enamel), while tooth cavities are the holes that develop as the decay progresses through your tooth structure.
Causes of tooth cavities include:
- Eating foods with many starches and sugars causes deposits to stick in the teeth resulting in the multiplication of bacteria which destroys teeth.
- When you eat sugary and starch foods and don’t regularly brush, the bacteria that multiply in your teeth form plaque. This plaque sticks on the enamel or above the gum lines forming tartar that’s hard to clean, which causes pain, smells, and holes.
- Acidic foods can also erode teeth enamel, allowing bacteria to attack teeth and cause cavities.
- Dry mouths may also cause tooth cavities. A mouth that lacks saliva can’t clear the food deposits and acid on the teeth, resulting in decay.
- Untreated medical disorders such as bruxism are also reasons to develop tooth cavities. Bruxism refers to habitual teeth grinding, especially while asleep. It wears out the enamel making it easy for bacteria to damage teeth.
You can avoid all possible causes of tooth cavities with a dentist’s help. That’s why Calm Dentistry came into being.
We provide quality and affordable dental care. You will be served by a professional family dentist who handles both the old and the young.
We provide teeth cleaning, teeth whitening, dental fillings, and much more. Reach out and let us serve you.
Tooth Cavity Risk Factors
Everyone who has natural teeth is in danger of getting tooth cavities. Here are things to avoid to reduce tooth cavities risks:
- Avoid eating too many sugary foods and drinks such as hard candy and mints, dry cereal, chips, ice cream, honey, sugar, soda, etc.
- Avoid eating or sipping too many acidic foods or drinks e.g. citrus fruits and citrus fruit juice and sodas.
- Brush your teeth regularly to clear deposits and hinder bacteria from forming plaques and damaging your teeth.
- Drink water with enough fluoride. Fluoride prevents cavities and overturns the earlier stages of tooth cavities.
- Ensure your mouth is not dry. A dry mouth is caused by a lack of saliva which happens as a result of tobacco and alcohol use and medical conditions e.g. diabetes or stroke.
To keep your mouth dry, avoid alcohol and tobacco. Drink water regularly and don`t drink caffeine more often.
Calm Dentistry offers the best dental care. We ensure that our patients understand the measures to take and avoid this disease.
This is because we prioritize health and offer affordable services to people of any financial status. Book an appointment today and we’ll help you.
How to Prevent Tooth Cavities
Tooth cavities prevention starts with personal hygiene. Here are tips to help you keep your teeth from this disease:
- Brush your teeth with fluoride toothpaste after every meal or twice a day to avoid the accumulation of food deposits.
- Visit the dentist regularly. Visiting the dentist after every six months helps identify and curb tooth cavities in the early stages.
- Drink water that has fluoride. Fluoride prevents tooth decay and can heal it in the early stages.
- Eat Healthy foods. Foods that have less sugar and starches don`t stick on teeth, which reduces the risk of getting tooth cavities. Some of the foods to consider include vegetables and fresh fruits.
- Use mouthguards. These devices help people with bruxism problems. They protect against eroding the enamel when someone grinds their teeth, especially while asleep.
Proper dental hygiene is the general prevention of tooth cavities. However, there are conditions that need a dentist`s intervention.
If you are looking for the best dental care in Stone Mountain, GA that offers great services, then look no further. We have experienced dentists to handle every dental case.
Not only do we provide affordable dental services, but also provide excellent patient care and quick service delivery.
Reach out or show up at our clinic in Grayson, GA, and we’ll proudly take care of your case.
We offer teeth cleaning, veneers, root canal, cosmetic, restorative, pediatric, and much more types of dentistry! We serve Grayson, Snellville, Lilburn, Lawrenceville, Stone Mountain, Loganville GA, and many other cities in Georgia.